Studies have shown that almost half of all adults get less than the recommended hours of sleep every night. Interestingly enough, clinic research shows that lack of sleep can be associated with a variety of physiological and psychological problems, especially among people who work long hours and get very little sleep. Then again, there isn’t much one can do if their proper sleeping conditions aren’t met on a regular basis.
A good way to ensure that you’re always getting a good night’s sleep is to invest in your bedding arrangements, whatever that implies. No other tool or gadget can help you in that regard more than a sleep mask. These comfortable and seemingly simplistic items can help you get the sleep you require and even aid you in regulating your sleep cycle when worn regularly. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the ten best sleep mask out there and focus on the characteristics that make them stand out in the first place.
My Picks for The 10 Best Sleep Masks
#10 Super Silky Super-Soft Sleep Mask
Made with the highest quality materials possible, the Super Silky Super-Soft Sleep Mask features a soft velvety inside and a silky exterior. Feather-light, durable and efficient, this mask helps you to relax and fall asleep with ease. Padded with silk cotton with adjustable straps made with premium quality elastic and Velcro, this mask offers high levels of comfort and gives you a snug secure fit. Along with the mask, you will also receive earplugs and a deluxe carry case. Perfect for utilization during meditation, ideal for travel, afternoon naps or just to block out the light while your partner watches TV, this mask can be worn any time of the day to give you the relaxation and sleep you crave.
#9 BELONGSCI 3D Sleep Mask
Uniquely designed with a contoured shape, offering you total blackout no matter where you are, the BELONGSCI 3D Sleep Mask will help you sleep like a baby. Extremely light in weight and durable, this sleep mask comes with deep eyecups that do not touch your eyes or cause any discomfort. Weighing just 0.5 ounces, its one among the high-quality masks that you can wear with makeup on without worrying about smudging. Ideal for those who would like to take a quick nap between shifts or classes or for those who suffer from insomnia and headaches, this sleep mask would definitely help you with the perfect night’s sleep.
#8 Bucky Luxury Eye Sleep Mask/Blindfold
Available in an array or assorted, vibrant colors and patterns to choose from, the Bucky Luxury Ultra-light Comfortable Eye Sleep Mask is made from 100% polyester interlock and polyurethane foam. Measuring 3.5 inches in height and 9.5 inches in width, this super light, contoured sleep mask is ideal for men women and children. Thanks to the specially molded foam that is latex free, it comes specially constructed to prevent any pressure on the eyes. Unlike most sleep masks, this one can be worn with makeup and false lashes without smudging it. Ideal for meditation, quick naps, and blocking out any kind of light, the Bucky Luxury Sleep mask prevents the most intense light from disturbing you.
#7 Dream Zone – Earth Therapeutics Sleep Mask
A blend of high-quality silk and cotton, the Dream Zone – Earth Therapeutics Sleep Mask is designed to give you a relaxed, comfortable night’s sleep. Super-soft and padded with luxury foam, this mask is a great companion while traveling or even to wear at home. With the ability to block out the most intense light, this durable, reliable sleep mask is a great option to distract you while you sleep soundly. Designed to fit comfortably on your eyes, it does not put any pressure on your face, no matter which side you prefer to sleep on.
#6 Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask
Ideal for men, women, and children alike, the Dream Essentials Sweet Dreams Contoured Sleep Mask is constructed with a contoured design that easily fits all types of faces. Light in weight, great for side sleepers, this soft luxurious sleep mask sits gently on your face without causing any pressure on the eyes. Also designed with large eye sockets, this mask ensures optimum breathability and airspace. Convenient, effective and durable, this mask is perfect for everyday use. Thanks to its unique design and construction, this mask can be folded and slipped into the carry case that comes with it, along with its premium quality ear plugs.
#5 Sleep Master Sleep Mask
Made with premium quality cotton inner lining and a synthetic outer cover, the Sleep Master Sleep Mask comes with a fully adjustable construction that is light in weight and well designed. Thanks to the durable Velcro strips on the straps, this mask easily connects at the back, giving you the perfect fit. Durable, flexible and extremely soft, unlike most sleep masks, this one goes around your head with ease offering you optimum comfort and relaxation. With no latex and hypoallergenic elements to speak of, this sleep mask can be easily washed and dried for optimal hygiene.
#4 Brownmed IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask and Eye Pillow
The Brownmed IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask and Eye Pillow is uniquely designed to soothe your tired eyes. Ideal for those who suffer from migraines, headaches, pains due to sinus and severe flue, it offers comfort and relaxation, helping you stay calm and stress-free. Available in a single size, this mask is suitable for both men and women and works as an eye pillow as well. Not only does it block out unwanted light, but it also provides a cooling relief that helps to pacify your muscles. Easy to maintain, this high-quality mask can be easily washed and dried whenever necessary.
#3 Luxury Patented Sleep Mask with Contoured Shape
Made from high-quality polyester, the Luxury Patented Sleep Mask is an ideal choice for utilization during camping, traveling, car rides, quick naps or just for a long uninterrupted night’s sleep. Similar to black-out curtains, this mask helps block out any light that is preventing you from a relaxed, deep sleep. Featuring adjustable straps and a well-designed contoured construction, the mask takes the shape of your face, giving you the most comfortable, snug fit. It also comes with deep cups that are molded to allow you to freely move your eyelids. Not only does this mask shield you from the light while you sleep, but you can also wear it while you have makeup on. Unlike most masks, this one will not smudge or compress your face in any way.
#2 Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss – Contoured & Comfortable
Known for its high quality and performance, the Sleep Mask by Bedtime Bliss is a premium grade sleep accessory that is designed to give you a deep, long sound sleep. Super-soft and well designed, it helps block out unwanted light, helping you to relax both at day and during the night. Featuring a contoured construction, it takes the shape of your face giving you a snug fit. Light in weight, comfortable, offering optimum breathability, it is ideal for men women and children. Perfect for utilization during meditation and for those who travel a lot, it helps to block out the most intense light. Along with the mask, you would also get uniquely molded earplugs and a carry case for easy mobility.
#1 ALASKA BEAR Natural Silk Sleep Mask
Uniquely designed with 100% high-quality mulberry silk both on the interior and the exterior, the ALASKA BEAR Natural Silk Sleep Mask is the ideal eye relaxing, sleep companion. Smooth, luxurious and soft, this mask offers optimum breathability and is one of the most well-known spa masks available. With straps measuring 15.8 inches to 27.6 inches, it comes with a fully adjustable headband that prevents hair tangles. Thanks to its contoured construction, it fits well even with a CPAP facial mask and earplugs. Perfect for those who suffer from migraines, headaches, and insomnia, this premium grade mask brings in healthy oxygen while keeping out the dry air. Ideal for travelers, this mask can be worn on a plane, during road trips or just at home to help you get a good night’s sleep.
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Sleep Mask
Not everyone gets the pleasure of sleeping in a completely dark room. Some of us live in the city and have bedrooms with large windows facing the street. This could be extremely disturbing when unwanted light enters your bedroom causing insomnia, stress, and restlessness. This is where a sleep mask comes into play-blocking out all traces of light and allowing you to enjoy a good night’s sleep. It has to be said, however, that not all sleep masks are built to the same standards and that some are a lot more efficient than others due to their ingenious build.
Why Do People Wear Masks For Sleeping?
Most people who work weird shifts, who do not get enough sleep due to work and stress often suffer from sleep disorders that are caused by unnecessary straining of the eyes. In this respect, sleep masks play an important role and can be beneficial for people who suffer from migraines, headaches, or insomnia. They are also perfect for sleeping in a bedroom with no blackout curtains or for when you are sleeping in a hotel. Not just that but they also help with daytime napping, air travel, road trips, and sleeping in rooms with televisions or light-emitting gadgets.
Benefits of Wearing a Sleep Mask
Being exposed to light, even before we go to bed at night is one of the primary reasons for being excessively tired. For most of us, it may be difficult to reduce the amount of light exposure before we go to sleep, but wearing a good quality sleep mask would definitely help significantly. In this respect, a good sleep mask can provide:
- Reduced Swelling of the Eyes – Sleep masks are an ideal companion when it comes to providing relief from puffy and swollen eyes. Sleep masks with a gel interior or those that provide a cooling relief can be used to reduce inflammation. Some masks can be placed in a freezer or cooled down to help in good blood circulation.
- Relief from Pain – Sleep masks help with migraines, headaches, and pain caused by sinus or water retention. A gel sleep mask, in this case, is highly recommended as it can be heated up to aid in the proper flow of blood which speeds up the healing process. Sleep masks also block out light which is another huge relief from migraines.
- Relaxation While Travelling – Travelling can cause you to sleep less or at odd times. Sleep masks are a lifesaver for those who travel a lot as it helps you to sleep while traveling no matter what time of the day it might be.
- Blocks out Light – In situations where you find yourself surrounded by unwanted light, a sleep mask is the best companion. Your partner might be watching TV, or your bedroom might have large windows with light coming through from the street. Light causes us to have trouble falling asleep. Eliminating light is extremely crucial if you want to maintain your melatonin levels and it is essential to keep out light during your sleep cycle. Here sleep masks are vital and can help with all of the above.
- Regulates Melatonin Levels – For those of you who do not know what Melatonin is – it is the hormone that sends a signal to our body, letting us know that it is time to sleep. In the daytime or when there is sunlight, the production of this hormone stops or considerably slows down, but during the night it begins to produce at a faster speed. For this to happen at a healthy level, we must be in a dark area. Considering the amount of light we are surrounded by at all times, a sleep mask is a necessity if we want to ensure our melatonin level stays healthy.
What To Consider When Buying A Sleep Mask
- Material: Sleep masks are made from various types of material including cotton, silk, polyester, foam and more. Some are designed with gel and beads as well. Therefore it is important to know the kind that would suit you especially if you travel a lot, if you suffer from headaches or migraines or if you would like to simply block out the light.
- Comfort Level: Comfort is key when it comes to choosing the right sleep mask. Not only are you looking at blocking out the light, but you are also seeking aid in falling asleep comfortably.
- Construction: Side sleepers and back sleepers must ensure they check the construction of the sleep mask they select, the kind of straps and closure positions on the mask. The weight of the mask also plays an important role when it comes to comfort, therefore it is essential to check these details before buying.
- Fit: With the wide variety of sleep masks available today, there are some that come in a single size and some that come in different sizes. Some masks cover maximum area of your face while some just cover the eyes. Most people do not like sleep masks that cover more than half of their face. Here we must know the kind of fit we prefer and whether it makes us feel claustrophobic or not. You must also keep in mind the fact that it should block out 100% of light.
- Washability: It is recommended that you purchase a sleep mask that is washable. Although most of them are, you might find some that are not. Always check for washing instructions and choose one that is suitable for you. Hand washing and air drying are easy methods and therefore are a better choice. You can also try out masks that can be machine washed but you must ensure the stitches stay intact.